We arrived in Ocampo about 4 pm. After topping off the bikes with fuel, our next task was to find lodging and a place to eat in that order. I asked the gas station attendant who directed me to a hotel next door. How convenient!

It was a nice enough place – the room had AC/heat, the sheets were clean, and there was both a sink and hot water. It even had in room wi-fi. Sweet!

I think my favorite thing though was the bedding. I felt like I was on safari.

JT like them too.

Once unpacked and cleaned up, we set out on foot looking for a restaurant. The Pemex attendant told me there weren’t any restaurant in town. How could that be? Ocampo was a reasonably large town, surely there was at least one restaurant in town.

The only thing was we couldn’t find one anywhere. We walked all over the place, asked everyone we saw, but no restaurants were to be found. We couldn’t even find a taco stand. I’ve never been in a town this size and not been able to find at least one place to eat.

We were just about to give up and walk back to the hotel when we spotted a faded sign hanging outside a building next to an open doorway. The sign said something about hamburguesas and other food items so we decided to investigate.

An old woman and an old man, appearing to be in their 70s, were the only people in the place. The building appeared to older than either and to be in worse shape too. They had a few small tables and some rickety chairs but assured us they were open and could cook some food for us. I asked the woman if she could make tacos but was told no. She then told us she could make hamburgers, to which we agreed.

The roof beams were bowed but unbroken. Mostly.

A few minutes later, the woman served up our hamburgers, consisting of a hamburger bun, patty, slice of ham, and ¼ slice of yellow cheese. No fries. No ketchup, mayo, or mustard. No lettuce. No tomato. Just a bun, some meat, and a little bit of cheese.

I was really hungry – we hadn’t had a meal since breakfast. I took a bite of the hamburger and quickly told JT, “ahhh, this is terrible”. It was the worst hamburger I’ve ever eaten. It was bland and I’m guessing the hamburger patty had been frozen a long time. It didn’t taste rotten and I wasn’t worried it would make me sick. It just tasted bad.

Still, it was the only option in the entire town, so we ate them.

As bad as the hamburger was, the woman redeemed herself by serving up churros after we finally forced the last of the burgers down. Churros are a fried-dough pastry, long and thick, covered in brown sugar and, in this case, a bit of melted caramel. They were delicious. All was forgiven.

After finishing and paying the bill we wandered back to the hotel. A beer run scored a six pack of beer and we settled down in the room for the evening. It was still early, only about 6 pm, but the room was warm and the beds were comfortable so it didn’t take JT long to nod off. I managed to stay awake until 7:15 and then called it a night. One thing about adventure riding in Mexico – it sure keeps us out of the bars at night.

I thought sleeping 10 hours the previous night was quite an accomplishment. Well, I managed to sleep a bit more than 10 hours this night. Wow. Who knew adventure riding was going to be so hard on my body that I could sleep 10 hours two nights in a row.